Saturday 4 February 2012

BTIKM Music Video


Today, Adam's music video for Better Than I Know Myself was finally unveiled. We'd had a preview and a yellow-eyed still beforehand so we had an idea of what was in store for us, that the twist in the video was going to be Adam reconciling opposing sides of himself rather than singing to a partner.



The flickering gives it a home video feel where we're peering in on his private life through a letterbox aperture. The light and dark duality theme of the album pervades the video with two neighbouring rooms separated by a mirror/window. On either side we have evil hell-raising vampire Adam and cherubic cuddly domesticated Adam. We see the characters act out their separate parts, in a dark versus light, negative versus positive, masked versus bare, hard versus soft, stormy versus calm, action versus contemplation, destructive versus constructive, cold versus warm battle.

As Evil Adam increasingly acts up in a temper tantrum and starts to disturb Good Adam from his Zen, Good Adam tries to help but is frustrated that his efforts are thrown back at him, finally leaving it up to Evil Adam who then sets fire to the place in a self-destructive rage, depriving him of his life-force. It's only he who can save himself from himself, which he eventually does.

In the end, it says to me the power to be who we want to be is in our own hands, that people aren't black and white but have elements of both as depicted by Adam's in-between look with different coloured eyes (nod to Bowie? Also note the Trespassing visual reference as he passes the striped warning tape on the wire fence). This could personally apply to Adam the performer and Adam the person as well. It's something we've seen so often, going from the snarling predatory disdainful sex-magnet to the sweet wholesome cutie in a matter of seconds at the end of a performance.

This has many shades of the WWFM video in it, the acting more accomplished. It's interesting and engaging to see the different Adams with their expressions which are both fun to watch and easy to identify with. I have to say I'm much more drawn to the dark side, finding a vodka-guzzling mischief-making lairy night out on the lash with him much more appealing than having the homebody nurse me in my hangover state with his juicing. How many times have you re-watched him rip apart the pomegranate he hands himself, run his fingers through the lighter flame or throw his drink? It's a fascinating, fabulous and entertaining story for a video that I will watch again and again.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks, always love to read your well thought out comments. I too like the dark side Adam... the clothes, the hair... fierce. But it does look like performance Adam. Fun video..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. destiny, I think dark Adam would be a lot of fun even if a handful!

      Delete
  2. Pan Feb 4 Feb 3pm
    Hi, I'm new and from far away.The new Adam's MV is controversial.That's
    good.But Dark Adam was misinterprited even by some faithful fans:Adam's
    acting was considered as being amateurish or comical.It was not.
    Iagree with you,Lambosessed "temper tantrum","flickering gives it..."
    But I also think that flickering,grey/greenish,black shades, exaggerated poses,gestures, gazes, passions were "borrowed"from silent
    movies on purpose, to contrast angelic/devilish,white/black Adam in a manneristic kind of way.
    The MV is the outcome of an inquisitive, sensitive, creative man.The
    contemplation of his dual self is a kind of reversed Dorian Gray
    introspection, which is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have been and will be continuously watching this video for quite a while it's very well conceived. I am so glad that Ray Kay has pulled another great work out of his bag (I loved FYE too) and hope he is kept on board for the future. I knew I could count on you for a good (non-biased haha) review. Thankyou again (Denise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, non biased? Hahahaha! I don't think that's possible despite my efforts.

      Delete
  4. I am forever grateful to you as you were the first blogger, fangirl I ever read and gave me such an intelligent and nuanced entre' into the world of Adam fandom. You even commented on my one and only blogpost (although I've since written tons of Live Journal including fanfic.) Anyhow, I am so in love with this video. I agree with Pam that there is a silent movie quality to this--and don't really undersand the folks who are making fun of his acting. I think actually that Light!Adam is such a vivid character that people assume that is simply Adam playing himself--I don't think so. I think he's showing us how he can summon this aspect up through an act of will--but that sometimes it is really hard to do. It's interesting that Light!Adam's oxygen source appears to live with Dark!Adam. I'll be watching this again and again--just as I return to your blog again and again to get a hit of intelligent, respectful, critique of Adam at work. I can't believe that I'm still SOOOO obsessed with him, but have decided that it is ok to settle into a longterm relationship with my pretend boyfriend--my real life girlfriend doesn't mind either! So, thank you my dear for all that you do to nurture and support our lovely lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idahophoenix, I just had a look back at your old blog post and despite everything that happened post-AMAs, his talent reigns supreme. It may have set him back somewhat, but without all that bullshit he wouldn't be the artist he is now. We wouldn't have a song like OOL and we wouldn't have an album like Trespassing.
      I haven't read any comments about the quality of acting on this video but I don't think people should take it so seriously. There's a fun element that they may have missed. I don't think Light!Adam is just being himself either as he's since said he's kind of a pussy and I think it's a good point you make that Adam has to work to bring that side of himself out.
      I'm not keen on those oxygen displays in the video though, I don't think they're necessary to show him suffocating. I just find them a little bit weird in a celebrity fad way.
      Has your real-life girlfriend become a fan too?

      Delete
  5. We see the characters act out their separate parts, in a dark versus light, negative versus positive, masked versus bare, hard versus soft, stormy versus calm, action versus contemplation, destructive versus constructive, cold versus warm battle.
    Excellently said!

    nod to Bowie?
    WOW, that's interesting. :)

    I SO LOVE BTIKM video! Adam is the best singer I know and an amazing actor as well. The video is brilliant!

    Thank you so much for your thoughtful and well written review. I enjoyed it a lot! :)
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shimoli710, thanks for taking the time to comment! Glad you enjoyed reading it. We're very lucky to have someone so talented to follow.

      Delete
  6. Pan FEB 6, 2012 02:35pm
    Part 2
    I had to face it, I was damn wrong. I'll make a public mea culpa, I'll beg to be burnt on the stake.I didn't trust Adam's instincts.I thought BTIKM would be just another pop piece of garbage [i]produced by producers producing over-produced[/i] music for lacking-in-musical abilities, self-centred divas.Then, bang the first blow the first shock,the live performances.
    'Listen to the velvety smooth sound..."
    Adam's live performances were thoroughly devised,the pensive attitude
    in the beginning, a soothing ,whispered confession,a more commanding
    plea sung with those perfect high notes and the apotheosis, the
    phenomenal improvisation when the confession becomes a strong, meaningful assertion.And what do we get? Actually a live lesson of how to turn music garbage,stereotyped lyrics into a gem.Sorry folks,
    pop music lovers, that's how we from "over the hills and far away"
    perceive pop music nowadays.Will Adam be allowed to change a fondant-
    like pop music with 0 flavour and aroma into a rich in texture, eye-
    stealing, spectacular work of art?We'll see.
    The dream-team, Adam and Ray imagined a puzzle, a game of intelligence and perspicacity of hidden symbols,details,meanings...
    Satan,Pan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lambert showcases a superhuman vocal range and I'm happy with the production of this music video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Hi, I'm new and from far away.The new Adam's MV is controversial.That's good.But Dark Adam was misinterprited even by some faithful fans:Adam's acting was considered as being amateurish or comical.It was not. I agree with you,Lambosessed "temper tantrum","flickering gives it..." But I also think that flickering,grey/greenish,black shades, exaggerated poses,gestures, gazes, passions were "borrowed"from silent movies on purpose, to contrast angelic/devilish,white/black Adam in a manneristic kind of way. The MV is the outcome of an inquisitive, sensitive, creative man.The contemplation of his dual self is a kind of reversed Dorian Gray introspection, which is GREAT."(PAN)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pan, thank you for your detailed comments. It's great to have others obsessing over the details of Adam's work with me! I hadn't thought of the silent movie angle before your comment, just thought it was the dark humour of recent vampire shows.
    I think Adam spoils us rotten with the quality of his voice. After hearing his live performances, everything from the studio sounds rather over-produced! I guess they haven't quite figured out how to capture and process that rare quality. He has the ability to turn a good song into something spectacular, so I'm looking forward to seeing him work his magic with a great song. Exciting times ahead...

    ReplyDelete